Nicholas Madness Part II

Normally this blog is about me. I might write about my friends from time to time and their accomplishments along the way but it's my blog and it is mostly about me. However, a couple of days ago my friend Nic had the kind of climbing day that doesn't come around too often. It was so epic that I had to dedicate this blog to his efforts. We have been going out to World Wall One quite a bit lately, trying to redeem ourselves on the rope after so many months spent bouldering. One of the two things Nic has been working on was a route called Technorigine wich became, as of last week, his second 5.12c. Next on the list was a route called Psychosomatic. Nic had been working it off and on for a while now but came incredibly close last week when he sent Techno and I knew it was only a matter of time before it was in the bag. This past Monday Nic, Whitey, and myself made a trip out to World Wall One where Nic not only dispatched Technorigine as a warm up, but as his second climb of the day sent his first 5.12d Psychosomatic! It was quite a brilliant effort, especially since he had just repeated Techno. We were all a bit stunned after the send because it had gone so effortlessly, I believe this was only his tenth or so go on the rig. I had worked this route last summer for a good month which is equal to about 28 attempts before I finally managed the strength and courage to send it, so you can imagine how impressed I was by Nic's nonchalant attitude. Congratulations Nic! Well, he wasn't done after that. We stepped over to Hang It Out to Dry, the area 5.12b classic, which, granted, Nic had sent before but it had been over a year since. He got on it and crushed that as well. It is not an easy route to repeat after so much time, the bottom is pretty straight forward while the very last moves are bouldery and heady. So far Nic had managed .12b, .12c, and .12d! Well, he wasn't done, as a warm down we all got on Rainy Day Woman and as an added bonus went all the way to the top on Deluge. Nic had an impressive day sending every letter grade in the .12's! It was a stout little circuit that he had just completed and I don't think I have seen anyone in our crew climb that hard that much in one day. Nic has now cleaned up all of his summer projects and is currently lookinf for new ones. I'm still working Techno, I think I'm on my 38th attempt? I've lost count, anyway we are headed back tomorrow so hopefully I will have some good news.

Comments

Popular Posts