The In-Between Times

WARNING:  the following blog post contains no media and has very long and to some peope boring route descriptions of new climbs I have bolted in Sitka.  Reader beware. 


Thought I would write a quick post on how the crag development is going.  In the last five days I have put in all of the bolts I ordered which gave me a total of three new sport routes to choose from.  The most exciting of which is a route on a new wall literally 30 feet down from Whale Wall (formerly Shitballz wall).  I'm probably the most psyched for this line even though its not the hardest.  It takes you on a sweet journey up the wall via large flat holds and ledges that eventually leads you to a technical slab sequence, and then finishes off with a very nice juggy overhanging section.  Its around 65-70 feet in length and is a true classic.  The bottom part is still a tad dirty, but with a little brushing and some more traffic this is going to turn into an everyday-afterwork-must-DO!  I placed the bolts very liberally so that beginner climbers could have a taste of what leading is all about without pooping their pants.  It took a long time to rapp bolt this thing because I was also cleaning the line as I went down.  I got really lucky in some places because I had only rapped down the line once and hadn't really tried any kind of sequence on TR before.  However, this rock is really interesting.  Its almost perfect for climbing, meaning it has holds in all the right places and the variety is astounding; pockets, crimps, sidepulls, slopers etc. etc.  I am very happy to have my name on this line, which I named 'Medicine for the People' after a band that came through and played at the local music festival here called Homeskillet.  They were easily the best band of the night and a few days later we got to hang out with them at a bonfire on the beach while they played some of their music for us. 
Anyways, I am happy to report that my new line has been getting some traffic and even had its first whipper!  Thank god the bolt held :) 
Besides the new line I have also finished bolting some older lines that I had been doing on TR.  One is an amazing line that takes the path directly up the center of Whale Wall which I have been calling Sitka Sounds.  I have done the line on TR many times and it feels like 5.11a/b, but I have yet to try it on lead.  I think it might turn into my favorite line on this wall because it has some of my favorite movement. 
Sitka Sounds route description:
The route is slightly overhanging the whole way and starts off on easy 5.8 climbing to a nice big jug that is flat on top and incut around the sides.  From here you get your feet up high on some foot smears and drop knee making a big move to a very weird little three finger crimp.  You then latch your heel into the side of the jug locking oyu into the wall, grab another small flat crimp and scamper your feet up onto the jug.  From here you have an awkward rest (if you are short) with your hands in a deep undercut and a really sweet little sidepull.  Again you have to get your feet high on a slopey ramp and lock off the sidepull reaching out right to a couple of really neat almost incut/flat finger jugs.  This is where the route gets really cool, you start to follow this slanted rail that has neat incuts, pinches, and flat jugs.  You follow this rail to it's apex where a perfect incut gaston and a four finger notch await.  From here there is either a really hard shouldery move to a small three finger crimp, or a a BIG committing move to one of the coolest incut crimpers I have ever seen.  I mean, this hold is like a gym hold its so perfect.  After latching this incut, you have to make some really difficult feet adjustments while at the same time locking off to a sharp pocket, a gaston pocket, and then finally the route finishes on really neat flat rails and jugs.

The other line I bolted is called Whale Song and is a true crimping masterpiece on a slight overhang that takes a clean line directly up the left side of Whale Wall.  I'm proposing solid 5.11d for this one, its got a very sustained section of hard crimpy moves and at the very end there is a low percentage deadpoint to a good rail. 
Whale Song route description:
You start on easy 5.8 climbing that gets hard very quickly.  You leave the easy climbing to gain a really neat pistol grip sidepull and a crescent shaped incut crimper.  These are your last 'safety' holds for a while.  Crossing to a very small crimper you make a lunge out left to a pill shaped sloper.  This is the most technical of the two cruxes, you have to adjust your feet getting almost horizontal with either a downward pulling toe or a heel hook and bring your right hand into a almost full pad incut undercling crimp.  From here you have to get your feet underneath you to establish in the undercling before punching to a good sidepull and then again to another good side pull.  You squeeze these two opposing sidepulls and maybe get a quick shake here before reaching into two sets of perfectly horizontal crimpers.  One crimper broke and got a little better but the other three aren't the best.  The feet aren't very good either but once you establish on the last set of crimpers you need to get your foot on a high 1/2 mm edge and make a very low percentage deadpoint to a really sweet rail.  From here you gain jugs until you climb back into the ending sequence of Sitka Sounds, where the rail comes to an apex. 
Unfortunately I ran out of bolts while bolting this last line so the only part that is protected is the crux section which is three bolts long.  AFter hitting the good rail you have to run it out a bit until you climb back into the finishing sequence on Sitka Sounds, both lines share an anchor.  There is also a variation to Sitka Sounds which will make the grade solid 5.11b, and even makes for a better line with a really neat drop knee move on crimpers and a crux deadpoint to a cool rounded incut crimper. 
So basically, the three independent lines on the wall have finally been bolted, and now all thats left on Whale Wall are the variations and linkups.  I'm busy right now with trying to raise some money for a new batch of bolts but once they get here I have several more lines already picked out.  There is a stunning exposed arete at the very top of a cool juggy face climb just to the left of Medicine for the People, that I am foaming at the mouth to equip.  I've started to call the wall that MFTP is on the Jah Wall.  There are two, maybe even three more lines on this wall that hold a lot of potential.
PLUS, the area I am excited about the most is right next door to Whale Wall and is an impressively overhung wall with two very distinct lines.  I'm going to call this overhanging wall The Frontier Wall.  There is so much potential!!!  I love it here!  The best part about all of this, is of course the proximity of the climbing to the road.  Its ROADSIDE!!  And, its literally five minutes away from where both Steph and I work.  Stpeh is working at a local boat engine repair shop while I am busy learning the secrets of the perfect brew...
Summer has been very good, with the exception of the weather.  We really don't see much of the sun here, and it doesn't get all that warm either, but I'm not complaining.  Life is too good to complain. 
I will try to get my camera out the next time we go climbing so my very small audience will have some eye candy.  I'm hoping to get out to the wall today and put down both of the new routes I bolted so maybe some pictures of the first ascents will surface in the near future.  Thanks for reading! 

Comments

jimmy said…
Nice job bolting some harder stuff! One day I'll make the trip up there and try your gems! Keep up the good work, wanna spend christmas in hueco?
Thanks Jimmy, just wait till the overhang gets bolted, you'd love it! Hueco is a definite possabilitiy.

Popular Posts