Naked and Afraid

 
 
I don’t really have a lot of words for this post.  My first Smithsgiving flew by and with the weather predictors constantly playing with our emotions it was difficult to predict (for ourselves) an appropriate rest day so instead we just climbed every single day we were there, eight days straight!
There was danger, sun, cold, wind, rain, frost, fear, zen, bliss, ignorance, hesitation, triumph, failure, and friendship.  Sweet, sweet friendship.  And in the end we all ate ice-cream. 
Smith is easily one of the best climbing destinations on the planet with striking lines, beautiful faces, fantastic movement, and a wonderfully grounded community.  I was disappointed with my abilities during this trip and my only regret, looking back, was that I did not open myself up to more possibility.  For whatever reason I held back and now that the trip is over I have a lot of mixed feelings but none of them compare to how proud I am of ticking a couple of super classic routes, and watching my girl friend conquer some of her fears.  I also feeling incredibly lucky and humbled and grateful to be friends with Steven Dimitt, uber local and Smith crusher.  Watching Steven calmly run laps on some of the longest and most drawn out routes in the park was nothing short of inspiring. 

Smith can be an intimidating place, but it's danger lies within it's ability to entice the masses to ascend upon its gullies, paths, and rock faces which can end up injuring/maiming/or killing the unlucky few who take for granted the stinging discipline of safety and focus.  While at Smith we bore witness to this very phenomenon.  A 30y/o woman lowered herself off the end of her rope whilst rappelling to clean a sport route at the top of Cocaine gulley.  The response effort was massive.  The above pictures spotlights illuminating the entirety of the crag in order to help the responders extract the woman from her position high atop the gulley. 

 

Visiting climber Paul DanD'minico warms down in the golden light of another fading day on Nine Gallon Buckets (5.10c).

 
Last day in the park and I decided to get after one of the prettiest lines around, Dreamin' (5.12a). 

Wish I could have gotten a more epic shot of our gracious host for the week Steven Dimitt, pictured here warming up on Phone Call from Satan (5.9). 

 
Now we prepare for Red Rocks!

Comments

Popular Posts