Organic and Raw


 Well, it’s December, and I’m fat again.  Thanksgiving was another food parade that has left me incapable of walking upstairs without gasping for air and clutching my chest praying to whatever god/s that may be out there to let me see the light of another day.  My arms feel like giant racks of lamb attached to my hambone body and my ground chuck brain driving this slow moving meat machine gets confused about whether or not it should start gnawing on my suckling pig thighs or use them for limited mobility. 

While in Texas I ate nothing but food resembling tan, dark brown, or off white decors, limiting my vegetable intake to one serving.  Yep, one serving, in four days.  You know the drill people.  I haven’t eaten that much ice cream, pie, fudge, meat, and starch in a long time and now when I pass the candy bowl at work I feel a gurgle of vomit tickling the back of my throat.  I need a sugar purge! 

And of course the entire time I was away from my NW paradise it did nothing but rain on me in Texas meanwhile back in Seattle it was blue bird and crisp.  Shit!  Oh well.  It’s the start of the very last month of the year 2015.  Any chance of accomplishing anything on real rock went out the door when I sat down with a large bowl of blue bell ice cream last week.  Now it’s all about gluttony and spending money for the next four weeks before looking my haggard and pudgy self in the marshmallow that used to resemble my face and shocking myself into a boot camp mentality.

I am pleased that I was able to spend almost every weekend of November in Smith.  The downside being that I still haven’t really sent anything hard there yet.  That place is a fucking mystery to me.  As soon as I think I have it all figured out, it back hands me down so hard I want to give up climbing.  I’ve never in my life been so humbled before and for that, Smith, I thank you. 


December.  It’s cold, it’s kind of wet.  You can’t really make plans with any kind of firm certainty.  It becomes a total mind fuck after a while and you have to resolve to just giving in to the weather and committing to the gym.  Which I have kind of done.  When the season is in full swing I shy away from trying hard in the gym.  I mean, come on, the last thing you want during project season is a blown pulley or strained tendon due to trying too hard on a boulder problem indoors.
  
Yuck!  But, when it’s your only refuge from the daily minutia of societal sewage; literally your only form of meditation and paramount to maintaining your beacon of introspection, well, I guess it’s time to try hard inside.  I read that you should train with intent and purpose which is to say you should train ‘trying hard’.  And that makes sense, but I just have a hard time taking plastic projects seriously.  Maybe I’m flawed.  I have been thoroughly enjoying my time on the circuit wall at SG.  Making up challenging problems that focus on my weaknesses has been making me smile lately.  I’ve found that I try really hard when it comes to doing three or four move boulder problems that I’ve created and that in itself is a victory.  Not sure if it’s actually making me stronger but at least I’m enjoying the raw power and aesthetic grace of the movement of climbing.  Endurance training can be really fucking boring so switching into power mode is a welcome change.

Big shout out to everyone in Bishop right now who continue to make me jealous that I won’t be able to go this year.  Noah, Fabian, RJ, Kearney, Tyler, Kevin, Emma, Eleanor, Josh, Zach, the Zoo, and just about every other person I meet lately.  Keep the dream ALIVE!  God how I miss those massive monzonite boulders.  This will be my first season in five years that I have not been in Bishop.  Not sure how to deal with that??  Talk about developing a ‘Feeling-Left-Out-Syndrome’, sheesh.  I don’t think I’ll be ‘through’ with my time in Bishop until I’ve done Evilution full or Paradise Lost or some kind of mega-hard mega-tall boulder, but I’d settle for Mandala, even if it is a total choss pile at this point, it’s still a beautiful and tall line. 

Fuck this weather, I want to climb on real rock!!!!!!
PS: Computer broken so no photos from Texas.  Suck it computer!
 


Comments

Popular Posts