The NOX


Things are rolling right along.

With the introduction of a little heat it’s time to get out of the kitchen and into the freezer.  Thus, we make our annual migration to the depths of The Nox (Equinox for the laymen).  Easily one of the best small crags in the State, every single route here is good/great/FUCKING AMAZING!!  Last season I had my first trip to this crag and then ended up coming back every single weekend for five or six weekends in a row.  I managed to send most of the classic 5.12’s in the main sector but never broke through that 5.13 ceiling.  So with a little more mileage and experience under my belt my focus was strictly on one of the best lines at the crag: Black Magic.  I had tried it a hand full of times last season and had done all the moves but it felt hard and I kept falling at the second crux. 

Arriving at the crag for the first time this season felt like I was returning home.  I love the Nox, from the routes, to the setting, to the secluded feel, to the viewing platform and the fact that even on a 80 degree day it can be cool and shady and perfect for climbing hard routes.  I was kind of at a loss as to what to warm up on and I started to feel intimidated, unsure of how I would perform on the bouldery power endurance oriented style of the routes after a long stint at Little si and the endurance monsters that lurk there.  So I finally got psyched and decided to just get on Skip it or Clip it.  I was shocked when the route felt surprisingly easy so I just kept going and managed to repeat the extension as a warm up.  Well, that worked out well!  Hopefully it was a sign of things to come and after a rest I was ready to try Black Magic. 

My first attempt was less than ideal, I forgot all of my foot beta and it made the body positioning and powerful lock offs feel incredibly hard.  After a few tweaks here and there I was thugging my way through the bottom boulder problem and hung at the second crux, then fired it to the red point crux; a technical crimp section over a small bulge that requires precise foot work and a calm head.  I hung there as well, and then pulled through to the last overhanging section and was so pumped I fell going to the victory jug.  Okay, that didn’t exactly inspire confidence but I knew I could climb it better.  A long rest and then I was back on the route and climbing really well.  I sailed the boulder problem and finally linked through the first crux, realizing at the next rest spot that I had never actually been this far on link, so I tried to keep my head and focus on what I had to do next.  I felt great, I was recovering well and moving and breathing through each difficult sequence.  I arrived at the redpoint crux and got overly excited.  My foot beta here was still sketchy and I started relying on power to pull my way up.  I failed and popped off going to a small crimp at my face.  I pulled back on sent the one hang.  Progress!  At this point I just wanted to be done with it so I could avoid the shoulder popping boulder problem start which always feels questionable.  Sometimes you can float through it and other times it feels like your wrestling with an alligator.  It’s also kind of a shock to the system when you have to start a route like this right off the bat with a thuggy boulder problem.  I’ve been worried about my power lately which is another reason why I was psyched to be back at  the Nox and specifically trying this problem.  While the bottom part is easily the hardest there is still a lot of resistance climbing on the rest of the route and the very last sequence is a pretty powerful boulder problem by itself so in my opinion this is a great power endurance test piece and I was happy to be stepping up to the challenge.  I tried the route two more times that day and actually got to a highpoint falling just shy of the last rest before the overhang, but it was not to be.

I drove back on Sunday feeling questionable physically but pretty psyched mentally.  The warm up did not go as planned and everything just seemed to have a layer of funk on it.  The previous day I managed to float up Skip It or Clip it Full yet today I fell on the 5.12a part just beneath the chains!  Climbing is such an odd beast.  While it wasn’t the start I was hoping for I recovered well and felt strong regardless of my poor performance on the warm up.  I geared up for a send burn on Black Magic.  As I got ready to climb I noticed that the key hold in the crux ( a weird blocky pinch seam type of hold ) was seeping pretty bad.  I figured I’d just get psyched and burl through it but in the back of my mind I was a little worried since you have to pull on this hold very hard.  I got to it and reached up jamming my fingers inside, it instantly felt bad but I tried moving off it anyway.  No dice.  I took and was a little overwhelmed with anger because I actually felt really good climbing into that part.  I dried it off as much as I could and then tried it again.  I stuck the jug and tried to compose myself thinking this could be it.  I moved off the jug sticking my right hand in a deep ring lock gaston; it was soaked!!  I tried hard to move and pivot off of it but my hand was slipping and I freaked and hung.  This was starting to get to me a bit but I thought, just chalk it up, dry it off as much as you can, let the sun come and go and whatever happens the route isn’t going anywhere.  Even with this mantra in my mind I was pissed, I wanted to do this route today!  Not next weekend, not next month, I wanted it now.  The sun finally crept around the apex of the crag and blared down on my route.  It was time to take a break. 

After an hour or so of waiting for the sun to leave, I finally noticed the route was in total shade and I got focused and psyched.  One of the most enjoyable things in climbing for me is picking an objective, and clamping down on it like a pitbull with roid rage.  The process of ferreting out every little detail, making awkward or difficult sequences the opposite and making good links on a difficult route has to be one of the best aspects of climbing and easily one of the most enjoyable/frustrating parts of climbing.  I never really know for sure how I’m going to perform, but I can usually tell when I have a good chance at sending and as soon as I pulled on and stuck the first move of the boulder problem I could tell that the chances were very high on this burn.  The boulder problem felt absolutely amazing and easy, I stuck the jug without having to come off the wall and just felt solid and focused.  I crushed the next crux off a good rest and just kept breathing and focusing on the next sequence and what I had to do to execute it perfectly.  I climbed into the redpoint crux and felt super dialed and floated it.  I got to the last rest and began to feel a little nervous but just took my time and really shook out well; I wasn’t going to let anything stand in my way at this point.  I left the last rest and fired it to the chains feeling confident and strong!  YES!  Another hard send, this really meant a lot, after last season I had built Black Magic up in my mind as this ‘milestone climb’ that lived in my sub-conscious as a sort of infamous character mired in darkness and seduction.  It’s really funny and cool to me how we can engineer personalities for these pieces of rock; these lonely stone giants that neither care what we do or how we do it.  Black Magic is easily one of the coolest climbs I’ve done and a perfect culmination of bouldering and endurance oriented resistance climbing, a total classic.

I pulled my rope and immediately placed it under Groove Tube feeling hungry to move onto the next project.  I had tried Groove Tube last season as well, completing the short version that goes at 5.12b and one hanging the full version that goes at 5.13a.  I remember that it felt significantly easier than Black Magic for the grade so I was kind of excited at the thought of maybe ticking two new 5.13a’s in a day, even if one of them was soft.  I did a beta burn and executed each sequence, re-figuring out the beta at the top crux.  My second go I felt like I was climbing in a dream, every move felt easy, every hold felt huge and I was resting and shaking on everything!  I got up to this weird transition in the wall from dihedral to slight overhang and there is a tricky sequence because there are so many holds at this point, some of them good some of them horrible.  I was ripped from my dream and completely stalled out.  I made a move off a horrible slimper and fell, FUCK!  I wasn’t even in the crux!  This was slightly annoying and kind of devastating because I had felt so good.  What a major brain fart.  I pulled back on right away seeing what I should have done instead fired the route to the top.  Goddamnit, I’m probably the best at punting, chuffing, and gumbie-ing, but actual climbing, I still have a long way to go.  The day was getting late and everyone was losing steam.  I wasn’t ready to give up though.  I wrangled one last belay out of Forest and tried to climb fast.  I got to the part where I had fallen and beasted through it climbing into the crux.  I was so fatigued at this point but victory was just above me.  I yelled to stay on sticking the crux hold and making the last clip.  I moved out right forearms burning, trying to mini-shake in between each move.  At this point it’s nothing but crimps and one bad foot hold that I had to stand on with everything.  I grabbed the second to last hold and tried desperately to trust the smear but I was done.  Falling into the abyss of failure.  And yet, success as well.  A highpoint and the knowledge that I can definitely do this route. 

The goal was to send Black Magic, but it manifested into trying to push myself and my limits to sending two 5.13’s in a day.  I desperately want to push myself and my capacity in climbing.  One of the demons of my past has to do with giving up and losing motivation after accomplishing a goal and this is something I have desperately tried to get away from this season.  I want to keep pushing myself after a victory , it’s no longer good enough to me to have that one good send for the year.  I’m striving to become a more consistent and confident climber and in order to do that I need volume and I need it at a high level of performance.  However, with pushing your limits comes the risk of injury, failure, and negative feedback loops.  In this light it’s important to practice a type of calm reserve that only comes with wisdom.  I think after this next weekend of climbing and projecting I will take a weekend off and entertain the idea of maybe doing something different.  At least for ONE weekend J

 

 

Comments

Popular Posts