One Last Time

Well, I thought I would finally post about the last good day of backcountry snowboarding here in the little ole town of Sitka. Early May we had an unusual bout of cold weather (lows in the city were between 38 and 42) for nearly two weeks. The weather pattern worked itself out so that it would rain at night (which meant snow in the mountains) and be mostly clear during the day. Perfect. Plus the earlier you got up there, the better your chances were of actually riding on some decent powder, which by the way we had seen a severe lack of for almost 6 weeks! I had gotten used to riding on the buttery stuff, but nothing, and I mean NOTHING, compares to making those crispy turns in feet of of fluffy powder. The difference is like night and day. So when one particularly cold night came along I found myself hiking up the Stove at 8 in the morning unsure as to what I might find. Fortunately the temps had stayed cold from the night before long enough to give me the best late season present ever. My first few runs had me floating on stay puft clouds of powder and for a couple of fleeting hours I had that 'giddy as a schoolgirl' feeling. But the days conditions changed quick, and before I knew it the powder had gone and left me with an entire ridge of untouched butter to carve. It was still incredibly fun and I had one more really good day out. A week ago I returned and finally took my board down with me. The snow at that point was still in abundance but melting fast. I hit a few runs for funs sake and had a good time on the easily maneuverable slush feeling very nostalgic as I walked back down. Now that the summer job is in full swing, and the weather is getting warmer and warmer all I can do is look up at the Stove from time to time and think about all of the amazing times it has shown me over the past season. Heres to the Stove!!!!

Comments

Popular Posts