Hair of the Dog




Wow, I've been terrible at updating my blog lately. Mostly due to the fact that my life is in a state of constant flux right now.
In the last three weeks I have managed to quit my job, move out of my apartment, and do a ton of goodbyes, hellos, hiking, a dash of climbing, and a lot of Good Will trips. It’s been one of the most exciting times in my life! I love the thought of a different landscape, different people, and different experiences the former bring with them.


Bob's area!

One of the most exciting developments for me lately has been my ability to rock climb with two feet! Last weekend I managed a back to back rock climbing trip; first day was Bob’s Area at Mt. Washington, and the second day was spent at my favorite area of all Little Si. Needless to say I have a bit of endurance to get back, but I will be a mere 30 minutes from the crag for the next 2.5 weeks and hopefully a project or two will fall? I have so many goals that I want to accomplish, or at least attempt, before I go, I’m just a little nervous in thinking about how obtainable they all are.


The approach to the Tooth.


The Tooth is that little guy smack dab in the middle.


Nick finishing up Aborigine (5.11b).


Nick drop knees into the crux of Technorigine (5.12c).


Nick off of Techno.

While last weekend was great; with the exception of a recon mission to find and hike to the base of the Tooth (a super classic multi-pitch trad climb in Snoqualmie Valley), the week on the other hand was full of stress. There were a couple of fleeting moments where I felt like it was never going to end and I was making the wrong decision. Moving out of a place can have a deleterious effect on ones psyche from time to time. The people at my job were great and threw me a going away party with a cake and everything. I was also bought lunch and dinner and yes, there were several tears shed. Whether they were tears of joy or sadness remains a mystery.
It took two trips to get the rest of my ‘stuff’ vacated from my apartment. In all I had lived there for two and half years! I think the longest place I have lived before this was another apartment complex near Evergreen with my then girlfriend Liz.


I've heard this alot over the last 16 months. I had four pieces.


Laura doing all the work.


Dom watching.


Mel watching.

I enjoyed the Hacienda (this is the name of the apartment complex). The small garden and walled in patio out front were pluses and the pool was very nice. Not to mention being in such close proximity to the Chehalis-Western trail was amazing, I absolutely loved running on it in the Fall when the Big Leaf Maples started to shed their decaying leaves. Of course living in Lacey, as well as in an apartment complex that some would describe as having a close resemblance to a south Los Angeles ghetto has its drawbacks. But it was a great little place for me and served its purpose well. Driving back to Seattle last night with my car filled to the brim for a second time I didn’t feel very nostalgic. Just tired and ready to be done sorting, moving, giving, throwing away, and being totally and utterly overwhelmed.
I’m here in Seattle now and last night I had the first realizations of a feeling that could only be described as “Holy Shit dude! You don’t have a job or a place to stay!” I stood in my mom’s kitchen swilling a warm beer and thinking about how my life had almost come full circle. Eight years ago I picked up what little belongings I had and moved to Olympia, and here I was doing the same dance in reverse. Now, it’s not entirely true, I do have places to stay and a small short term job landscaping, but the feeling of having the carpet pulled from beneath my feet and angrily getting up rubbing my backside only to find that the culprit was someone who closely resembled yours truly is a little stunning.


Seatown.




Don't worry, he's just sleeping.

I’m trying not to think about all of the hugely important and absolutely crucial things I need to do before I make my final voyage north to Alaska (like get a ferry reservation, trim my belongings down to what will fit in my car, say good bye to very dear friends, pay bills, save enough money to live on for two months, and find a job!). For now, I just want to think about the incredibly awesome time I’m going to have tomorrow at my BBQ as 15-20 of my friends from Oly and Seattle will combine to form some out of control love fest hungrily making its way down Greenwood taking no prisoners.
Not to mention the pre-BBQ crush fest at Little si. Hope to see you all there!


Comments

Kyle O'Meara said…
Psyched to hear you're back in action and embarking on a new chapter in life! Enjoy the party...wish I could join in the festivities. Climb a route for me at the Little Si!
Anonymous said…
Are you in Anchorage? Did you get your draws back from Bob's Area??

I CAN'T BELIEVE I'M MISSING YOU. :(

Popular Posts