Bills' Philosophy

"When people eventually succeed after trying something for an extended period of time, something that involves repeated disappointments, then, no matter how objectively hard it is, they have accomplished something beyond an athletic achievement. They have made a statement about what they are made of—about a type of strength that has nothing to do with forearms. Watching my friends achieve that success on their own projects was encouraging and motivating. Of course, at the same time, it threw into sharp relief my own continued lack of success." - B. Ramsey

From evening sends.

If you haven't read the article yet I highly suggest it.  I met Bill briefly back in 2012 in Bishop, Ca.  He had just flashed Bubba Escapes the Ward and was working on the link up Bubba Labotomy.  He failed to do the link up, but his calm demeanor and openness towards the climb was so refreshing.  A true master.  As he cracked the top on a Sierra Nevada Torpedo I knew I was in good company and we chatted about climbing and life and friends.  He cheered me on as I struggled up some contrived V.7 and then watched as I flailed on Toxic Avenger.  I don't have any deep anecdotes from our meeting but he definitely sticks out in my mind as one of the greats from a bygone era.  You can see it reflected in his tone in the article yet he also has a profound admiration for the future and the now and how it can have a transformative effect on the once seemingly impossible.  Cheers Bill.

Comments

Popular Posts